June 28th Update:
The New York Times has made yet another change to their web site which is causing problems.
If you have previously signed in, the puzzles will continue to download normally unless you sign out.
If you have never signed into the NYT site in Puzzazz,
or if you sign out, you will not be able to sign in normally.
We are in communication with the people at the Times and are working on a resolution.
In the meantime, we have figured out that you can sign in succesfully if you connect your nytimes.com
account to your Facebook account, then use Facebook to sign in rather than the normal method.
You only need to take action if your NYT crosswords are not updating automatically each day.
Here's how to connect your nytimes.com account to Facebook:
- Make sure that your Facebook account and your nytimes.com have the same email address associated with them
(your Facebook account may have more than one email address associated with it)
- Open a browser such as Safari on your computer, or on your iPad or iPhone
- Open http://www.nytimes.com
- If you are signed in, tap on your name at the top of the window and then Log Out
- Tap the Log In button at the top of the window
- Tap the Log in with Facebook button (in some cases, it will be called Use Facebook)
- Enter your Facebook sign in information (email or phone and password)
- After you sign in successfully, you will be given the option to Link Your Facebook Account to your NYTimes Account
- Enter your nytimes.com password to link the accounts
Here's how to sign into nytimes.com with Facebook in Puzzazz
(only do this after
you have linked the accounts in a browser):
- Open Puzzazz on your iPad or iPhone
- Open the NYT book
- If necessary, tap Update nytimes.com Login and choose Remove Authorization
- Tap Subscribe
- Tap I have a subscription
- When prompted, tap the same Log in with Facebook button as you did earlier
- Complete your Facebook login. You will not be asked to link the accounts again
- Enjoy the puzzles!
If you ever want to unlink your Facebook acount from your nytimes.com account, there is an option in
the Settings for your nytimes.com account (go here
If you do not have a Facebook account, you can always manually download the puzzle until we
are able to resolve this with the Times.
Even when you download a puzzle manually, Puzzazz will properly show the print version of the puzzle, as it always does.
Don't forget to tell your friends that Puzzazz is the only way to solve the print edition
of the NYT crossword on your digital device every day.
No other app supports all of the tricks that editor Will Shortz likes to use.